When it comes to home security installation, you typically have two choices; either install it yourself with a bit of assistance or hire a professional.
As a general rule of thumb, doing any kind of home improvement project yourself is going to take more time but can be cheaper. It’ll also leave you with some great skills and new knowledge that you can use in the future when upgrading or repairing your home security system. In comparison, most people believe that a professional security system installation is more expensive but takes less time and effort.
However, that’s a very general look at the differences. So in this post, we’ll be covering some of the reasons why you might want to consider one or the other and some truths about those initial assumptions.
DIY can be cheaper but it’s not a guarantee
Doing something with yourself typically comes with the benefit of it being cheaper. This is because you don’t need to pay a professional for their time and services. However, the cost isn’t just about hiring someone.
There are a number of reasons why you might end up paying more even though you’re doing it yourself:
- You might need to pay for different tools and materials that could cost a lot of money or might only be available in bulk.
- You’ll need to spend more time on it which could demand you to take more time off work, thus resulting in a higher cost because of reduced work hours and wages.
- You could break something in the process of trying to repair it, leading to damage that will likely require a professional to fix.
- You could install a system that isn’t expandable in the future due to the hardware you’ve picked, meaning you’ll need to overhaul your home security system in the future.
As you can see, there are many extra costs associated with DIY home security installations. It’s easy to end up spending more money than you expected, especially if you need to purchase all the tools and materials to install everything. In short, we would only recommend that you go for the DIY route if you’re confident in your DIY abilities and already have tools to help you complete the project.
When should you consider DIY home security installations?
Despite the potential issues that come with a DIY security system installation, it’s worth mentioning a couple of benefits and reasons why someone might want to install it themselves.
For starters, if you only need a single camera or a new door lock, then installing a single piece of equipment yourself isn’t much work. This is especially true if it doesn’t require any drilling or breaking existing things such as your door in order to fit your security hardware.
You might also want to choose a DIY installation if you’ve already purchased or plan to buy your own security equipment. This is a great choice if you’ve bought it on sale or managed to get a cheap bundle. While some contractors may offer to help you install it for a fee, it’s far more likely that they’ll include hardware costs in their price.
Lastly, if you’re in this to learn more DIY skills or gain confidence, then doing the security installation yourself is usually a good idea. Granted, you’ll need a bit of time and a lot of patience to make this work, but it’s a viable option if you plan to do more DIY home improvements and security upgrades in the future.
The benefits of hiring an electrician for home security installations
For most people, hiring an electrician for a home security installation is usually the best option. Here are some of the most common reasons why:
- It can end up being cheaper. Most people look at DIY as a cost-effective way to make home improvements, but hiring a professional usually guarantees great workmanship and fast completion times. This can end up saving you a lot of money in the future.
- Install a large amount of hardware at the same time. Since professionals understand how to properly install and configure security hardware, you can add a large number of surveillance equipment, sensors, alarms, and other additions at the same time. This is great for larger homes or when you want extra security to help protect your home.
- You’ll be told about all the different options available to you. If you know that you want to protect your home but are unsure about your options then you may want to consider speaking to a professional who can make suggestions for what kind of hardware to add and where to place specific sensors.
- You’re taught how to use the system. Half of the challenge is learning to use the system even after you’ve installed it. Professionals will ensure that you know exactly how to use it before they consider it a job well done. They’ll even help assess the security system and make suggestions on how to improve your home security installation.
Looking for home security installations in Bayside, Melbourne?
It’s important to understand that installing your own home security system can be daunting. While it can often end up being cheaper, there’s something nice about having the peace of mind and professional assistance that you get from a certified electrician that knows what they’re doing.
Carda Electrics put a heavy emphasis on the safety and security of our clients. We make sure that you understand all options available to you so that you can choose the right security features for your home. Alternatively, we’re more than happy to offer you full guidance every step of the way to ensure complete home protection.
So if you’re looking for a reliable electrician in Bayside, Melbourne, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today to request a quote or see how we can help you.